child protection trainerHow do I become a Child Protection Instructor? The qualifications required to teach accredited child protection awards and become a child protection instructor have changed over the last couple of years.  You can no longer teach accredited child protection with a child protection trainer award, as this will not be accepted by any of the UK awarding bodies.

Teaching Qualification

First and foremost if you want to be a trainer you will need to have an entry-level teaching qualification. The PDLSG – Planning and Delivering Learning Sessions to Groups Award or the ETA – Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualification gives the teaching award accepted by all awarding bodies. This course is nationally accredited and by its conclusion will allow the successful candidate to teach any subject they have experience in.

Child Protection and Safeguarding Qualification

Ok, so you now have a teaching qualification either PDLSG or ETA that proves your competence as a trainer. What’s next is to match it up with some relevant experience, The easiest way to do this is to obtain the Child Protection and Safeguarding qualification. Holding the teaching qualification and current child protection award will allow you to teach the following courses:
  • Child Protection and Safeguarding Training
  • Child Protection Awareness Training
It’s best to also complete the child protection Course if you want to specialise in this field eg a trainer within a school.


Trainers should take out public liability insurance in case a member of the public blames you for causing damage or injury. Alongside professional indemnity insurance in case a member of the public/client accuses you of making a mistake within your work. Both cost about £120 per year.


You will need some basic first aid equipment to be able to provide your own courses. The below list of equipment is everything you will need:
  • Child Protection PowerPoint
  • Projector for Powerpoint presentations

Child Protection Trainer Courses with Teaching Award

If you don’t have a teaching award one of the cheapest 2-day courses from Abertay provide everything you need just click the link below to become a Child Protection trainer with includes the PDLSG teaching award
  1. Teaching Qualification
  2. Child Protection qualification or Child Protection E-learning (or professional exemption)
  3. Insurance
  4. Equipment

Accredited Child Protection Certifications

Once you have all the above, you then need to apply to one of the awarding bodies to apply to become an approved centre so that you can gain accredited AED certifications for the candidates you then teach. There are many awarding bodies out there but one of the most reasonable for costs is SafeCert Awards. They cost 295 for centre approval with emergency first aid certification at around 5 pounds each.
, , , ,